Interesting marketing strategies. Must-have software. Fun business ideas. Limited-time course offers. Intriguing new social platforms.
There’s no shortage of potential opportunities for small business owners. Every day our inboxes and social feeds are filled with exciting new tools and can’t-miss tactics.
Frustratingly though, the things we think are going to change our lives (or at least our businesses) are often the very things that hold us back. Chasing all of those ideas prevents us from making real progress. It’s so common there’s a name for it: shiny object syndrome.
It’s likely you’ve encountered it before, and you almost certainly will again, so what can you do about it?
In this episode, we’re going to take a look at what shiny object syndrome is, how it damages your business and distracts you from your goals, and what you can do—starting right now—to overcome it.
Prefer a transcript? Here you go!
What you’ll learn in this episode:
- What shiny object syndrome is and how it impacts your business
- Examples of shiny objects you’ve probably encountered
- Why shiny objects seem harmless (but aren’t)
- How to evaluate new opportunities and offers so you can know if they’re the right choice, or just another shiny object
- Wikipedia’s definition of shiny object syndrome
- Do You Have ‘Shiny Object’ Syndrome? What It Is and How to Beat It, from Entrepreneur.com
- Entrepreneurs May Be Particularly Susceptible to Shiny Object Syndrome, from Inc.com
- Your 20-Minute Overwhelm Elimination Plan will help you get back on track if you’re feeling overwhelmed
Overcoming Shiny Object Syndrome
You'll also be automatically subscribed to my more-or-less daily email newsletter. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Great information. Valuable key nuggets are super helpful!
This was a super helpful episode for me, especially the part toward the end about recognizing why I’m doing what I’m doing. I literally typed out notes about key points for future reference! (and am considering tattooing them to my forehead 🙂
Awesome! I’m glad it was helpful for you!