When it comes to running a profitable online business, there is no more important asset than your email list. The funny thing is, it’s the one of the first things new business owners put off “until later.”
In fact, if you ask established business owners what they wish they’d done differently, most of them will tell you they wish they’d started building their email list sooner.
That’s why I’m kicking off this six-part business-building series with an actionable guide to building your email list. I’ll share my best strategies for choosing software, creating lead magnets, driving traffic, and engaging with your new subscribers.
Prefer a transcript? Here you go!
What you’ll learn in this episode:
- How to choose your email platform, including “gotchas” to avoid
- Three must-haves for a great lead magnet
- How new subscribers get added to your email list (plus tools to use)
- Two things to include in your welcome message
- Why consistency is the most important part of your list-building efforts
- 15 ways to promote your lead magnet
- How to Choose Your Tech Stack outlines a 7-step process that makes deciding on new marketing technology easy and intuitive.
- Active Campaign is my email platform of choice, and ConvertKit comes in a close second.
- Here’s a free course I created to help you get started with Active Campaign.
- Email Funnels for Non-Marketers walks you through the steps to creating a lead magnet that converts.
- Thrive Suite makes it easy to create opt-in forms and landing pages.
- Ad Inserter is a free WordPress plugin that lets you insert opt-in forms into every blog post automagically (not just for AdSense).
- Canva wasn’t mentioned, but I use it to create great looking PDFs.
- Eight Free Strategies I Used to Grow My List in 2021 details my personal favorite list-building strategies.
- Six-Figure Systems is my monthly program that teaches you how to start and grow an online business.
- The Six-Figure List Building System takes what you learned in this episode and expands on it. Use code PODCAST to save 40% at checkout.